Monday, May 29, 2006

If you're searching for a silent sky...

My grand dad has been staying with us for the past ten days. He is leaving today. And he took the trouble of waking up at 5 am today just so he could talk to me before i left for work! And so, he talked to me. Thus spake the grand old man-
"Remember, when you go out with friends, no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs. Also, marriage only to a brahmin girl."
That's it. no preamble, no introduction of the topic, no broaching the subject matter no nothing. Heck, not even a good morning. Bang! it was there in the cold morning air. hanging over the dining table between me and him. much like a quick drawn gunshot at point blank range. except here the victim does not know how to react to the bullet. Does he allow it to enter him? Does he take it inside like he would a real bullet? Or will it just fall to the table like a brick if he stared at the bullet long enough? Or will it crumble to dust if he laughed and broke the quiet? I was at once trying to control my laughter, nod my head in feigned obedience and trying to look away; the seriousness, the panic, the grave urgency and desperation in his face must have said a thousand things, which I might have comprehended only if the light was better in that room. I mean, why he suddenly thinks he needs to tell his 23 year old grandson this at 5 in the morning, I don't know. I went out for dinner with my friend yesterday evening and got back home very very late by his standards. So, isn't it clear as day then, that if i actually come home late, then surely, I and my friends are actually having an orgy, doing crack at a whore-house and passing out from drink on an everyday basis? But I must assure you, it is not on an everyday basis! I finally said "Yes, OK" to his words. He must believe i have now been completely saved from a hopeless life of vice by a few simple words! And hence Mission Impossible Accomplished. Over-and-out. God, I crack up and hold my belly in mirth when i think of this incident. Some concept of parenting people have! I am surprised he didn't tell me about homosexual contact and unprotected sex with multiple partners. I bet he has been chanting this sentence through the night so he could memorize it perfectly, the panic and grief and all. He must be shocked with my reaction. I just hope for his sake that he didn't expect me to say "But Grandpa! You don't need to tell me that. You actually feel i am even capable of thinking about trying to do any of those vile nasty things? You insult me Grandpa!"

You won't find it here. Look another way.
You won't find it here. So try another day.


The introspector has spoken

No comments: