Friday, April 28, 2006

The white veins of IT

0545 hrs, Hosur Road. I was getting to my office on a Friday morning, dazed and sleepy. In the half light of dawn, by the gate of every IT company, BPO, software development center, Call centre (oops.. contact center, no offense meant) there stood a battalion, oiled and ready for another day. White cars, vans, buses, cabs of every make and model stood glinting in the light of the street lamps and headlights of the early risers. Hundreds, thousands of these, row after row of silent, monstrous hulks, ready to leap at the blow of a whistle, ready to battle the heat, dust, pollution and chaos of my city, nay to create the heat, dust, pollution and chaos of my city. Yet, without them, my city would lose its edge, its 'competitiveness', its identity, its industry. IT, with its 6 digit salaries, its coffee machines, its board rooms, its white Tata Indicas, its VoIP phones and its IBM Thinkpads is what opens our gates to riches, to progress, to Glory, Hallelujah! And the transport departments of all these companies make up the white veins (or arteries?) of IT, spreading and branching to the most remote extremities of this pulsating, expanding, growing insomnia that is my city. My lovely Bangalore, won't you ever rest?

The introspector has spoken

No comments: