Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Mil Millington

My latest fascination (after the belly button lint and the green armpit putty) is Mil Millington's Blog of "Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About". You must admit, the insight it gives could seduce any man into becoming an ascetic, but curiously, it's just these things that make you want to stick around. And how do I know? I just do ok, trust me. For heaven's sake I can relate to the stuff this guy writes, isn't that proof enough? I mean... i know he's exaggerating wildly, but his subtle british humor is just awesome. And now I got my girlfriend to also read this. God! What have I gone and done?

On another note, I need to interact with individuals from a certain central American country (they have conference calls and web chat sessions from there) in the regular course of my work. That's the only comic relief I have in a day at office. Their web chat log runs something like this.

Us: Hi
Them: hi
Us: We'd like to know if the encoder is currently deployed.
Them (after 8 minutes of inactivity during which behind the scenes, the following activities take place - copy from chat window into Google language tools, Translate from English to spanish, Type in spanish the appropriate answer to our question, Translate from spanish to English, copy that into the chat window and hit 'Send'): Not, Encoding happening is not current, the final deploy will happens only later. Please... sorry, please.
Us: OK, so when can we expect encoding to be deployed and tested?
Them (repeat performance as described above): Wait me some time, please. I am checking when I am talked with so-and-so today in the afternoon. But now I am suffering from the hungry, so I go to eat.
Us (recovering from a brief spell of dizziness): Ok, thanks.

I am gonna miss you guys when I'm off this project.


The introspector has spoken

No comments: